A list of family research sites could be endless! Here we provide some of our main, free favorites–not to be missed.
(Arguably the best free searchable U.S. Census access, plus many other records. Worth setting up the required login; they will not contact you if you check the appropriate boxes.)
- Browse census records from the archives.
- Check county or state GenWeb pages
- Check your local public library or historical society library for Ancestry.com or other subscription access. Kansas residents can sign up for a Kansas Public Library Card for online access to HeritageQuest Census search.
Local History Books
- Search Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center with your county name (or family name) as the keyword. (If you don’t see the search box, click the “collection” tab.)
- Search Archive.org (Internet Archive) for texts with the county name and the word “history” or “biography.” Search the text for family names or other key words. To filter to book and text documents only, select “Advanced Search” and set “Media Type” to “text.”
- Search Google Books. (You will have to sort out many books for purchase only.)
- Check your county USGenWeb pages.
Tip: Once you have located a book, use Ctrl+F or a search box to search the text for family names or other keywords.
Other Lists of Free Resources
50 FREE Genealogy Records and Websites for Frugal Genealogists from Lisa Lisson
Is your free favorite not on this list? E-mail us your suggestion!